I want a Mentor!
You may be thinking that a maybe a mentor would be a cool thing for you…but you’re just not sure about it. It does seem kind of strange to just start hanging out with someone you don’t know and who is possibly much older than you. You probably have questions like: Will this person be fun? What will we do? Will they want to tell me what to do?
Those are all good questions! We at Ignite Youth Mentoring want to let you know that you will have an awesome time and even grow as a person. In fact, we think that you will find a life-long friend who will help you and have your back forever! That’s pretty cool! But don’t just take our word for it. Listen to youth who joined IYM – before and after being matched with their own mentor…
What did other youth want from a mentor?
- “I want someone I can hang out with.” – Chase
- “I want a mentor who knows how to have fun.” – Thor
- “It would be cool to have an older girlfriend…someone I could talk to and hang out with.” – Mina
- “I want a mentor who is a good listener – someone who understands and I can trust.” – Ana
- “I want a mentor who can teach me new things and help me to be better at stuff I do.” – Nathin
- “I want someone to help remind me of stuff.” – Darrell
- “I want a mentor who is helpful, kind and friendly.” – John
- “Mentors are just cool. I want to be able to hang out with one of them.”
What did other youth like about having a mentor?
- “It’s so much fun. We have a great time together.” – Tristan
- “She’s been through so much. She really understands me.” Chaylee
- “My mentor is always there for me. Listening when I’m down; my best friend – and I love her.” – Caitlyn
- “He’s like one of my best friends; he takes me out and does stuff like a dad would; and he’s like a brother to me.” – Brenden
- “I can’t believe I almost passed her up. She is a lot of fun.” – Jaime
- “He’s impacted my life a lot. I was going down a dark road. He came into my life and changed it all around.” – Billie
- “Thanks for matchin’ us up! You are a good mentor. From leona xoxo thank you” – Leona
What do I get out of it?
- An adult friend for life!
- Fun times and experiences you wouldn’t get anywhere else
- Someone to help you with any questions you have
- A person to hang with a couple times a month
- Helping an adult to better understand youth
- Opportunities to learn things that are cool and helpful
- Be a part of something awesome that you will tell your friends about and never forget!
How do I get my own mentor?
It’s easy as 1, 2, 3 …
- Tell your parent/guardian that you would love an IYM Mentor and what it’s all about!
- Have them click on this link to fill out the form to JOIN!
- Get ready for us to call within a couple days to set up your interview to get going!